Literature Alive: Licence Agreement
In order for you to take part in this project we need you to enter into a legally binding Licence Agreement with us, Digital Writes – Development and Publishing C.I.C.
You will retain all copyright in the work you produce and assert your moral rights including those to paternity and integrity. These rights mean no-one can use your work without your permission, without crediting you, and must not use it in any way that might damage your reputation.
Because of this, we can’t include your work in The Gamebook Simulator (see below) until you have entered into an agreement with us granting us a licence to use your work.
If you are under 18, we must also have the consent of a parent or carer for you to enter into this agreement.
A project in which children, young people and adults work collaboratively to produce The Gamebook Simulator (as defined below), each contributing as much or as little as they like, from a single idea, to complete game scenes or whole written and illustrated chapters.
Participants may choose from any or all of the following activities, and any others that become necessary in order for us to complete the project:
- contributing ideas and working on story development;
- developing a rules system;
- creating characters and monsters;
- creating game objects and environments;
- developing scenes by acting them out;
- writing scenes;
- drawing and illustrating;
- devising puzzles such as tile puzzles, passcode puzzles and pipe games;
- writing code;
- producing marketing and publicity materials.
“The Gamebook Simulator”:
The main output of The Project will be a single gamebook simulator videogame. A gamebook is a style of novel in which the reader chooses options to decide the actions for the protagonist. Our simulator will simulate the reading of a printed book, but with many added features, such as narration and voice-acting, animated illustrations, interactive puzzles, and sections of 3D first-person gameplay. It will contain other characters that you have to engage with: allies to be made, enemies to be avoided; and a unique combat system using light – such as flashlights – to dispel our light-sensitive monsters. The Gamebook Simulator will have a PEGI 7 rating, but it will contain jumpscares, darkness and intense suspense. It will be published as a downloadable game on Steam, the iOS App Store and Google Play.
Any work made by you as an active particpant (“The Contributor”) in The Project whether in collaboration with other participants and/or Digital Writes tutors or on your own, including but not limited to: ideas; story development; planning; writing; drawing, painting and illustrating in any physical or digital medium; animation, whether drawn, model, digital or other CGI; voice performance; game objects and game environments; puzzle designs; maps; computer code; appearance in still photographs, video or voice recordings; animation; sound recording; video recording; still photography; music composing or performing; audio post-production; any other administrative, marketing, publicity, creative or technical work you make as part of your participation in The Project.
This is a legally binding Licence Agreement between us, Digital Writes – Development and Publishing C.I.C.of 10 Alveston Close, Westlea, Swindon SN5 7DE (Company Number: 9740449) and you The Contributor:
Terms and Conditions
- I hereby grant Digital Writes – Development and Publishing C.I.C. a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free licence (with the right to sublicense) to use my Contribution in any way that it thinks fit. Accordingly I agree that my Contribution and the Gamebook Simulator incorporating my Contribution and any other products incorporating my Contribution may be published or otherwise exploited (and such exploitation may include the exploitation of ancillary rights therein) in all media and formats throughout the universe for the full period of copyright and all renewals and extensions thereof and thereafter so far as may be possible in perpetuity.
- I hereby assert my moral rights to be recognised as the author of my Contribution to the Gamebook Simulator, the right to object to derogatory treatment of my Contribution to the Gamebook Simulator, and the right to object to false attribution to me of any part of The Gamebook Simulator that I did not create.
- Digital Writes shall not be liable to me or my legal representatives for any loss or damage or injury to me or my property caused or suffered in connection with Digital Writes’ making of the proposed Gamebook Simulator unless caused by the negligence of Digital Writes and recoverable on that ground.
- Digital Writes shall be under no obligation to make any use of my Contribution within the Gamebook Simulator and shall not be liable to me in the event that my Contribution is not included in the Gamebook Simulator or if the Gamebook Simulator is not published.
- I agree that the Contribution shall not contain anything which is an infringement of copyright or which is calculated to bring Digital Writes into disrepute or which is defamatory provided however that Digital Writes shall not be entitled to bring claim against me in respect of any defamatory material that was included in my contribution without negligence or malice on my part.
- I hereby confirm that I have read the terms of this agreement and that I understand them.
- The Courts of England shall have sole jurisdiction in relation to the terms and conditions of the agreement contained in this release which shall be interpreted according to the laws of England.
For our legal protection under the laws of copyright we will keep a copy of this contract indefinitely. If you have submitted a hard copy of this form, for your protection we will scan it, digitise it and shred the original. For your protection we will encrypt all digital copies of this agreement.